A married relationship licence shows the individual doing your wedding (the wedding officiant) you have actually met all of the requirements that are legal be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be obtained from the registry agent workplace.
A registry representative problems a 2-part document. The part that is top a Registration of Marriage and also the bottom level could be the wedding licence.
The complete document (enrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) should be provided to the marriage officiant which is performing your wedding. It is a appropriate document and needs to be held in good shape and never folded since it is completely archived.
Conditions for a married relationship
Banns (postings or notices in a church) aren’t appropriate instead of a wedding licence.
There aren’t any citizenship or residency demands.
There isn’t any right time frame that has to pass between your date a couple comes in Alberta and also the date a wedding licence is given.
Bloodstream tests are not essential.
A marriage licence is legitimate for three months through the date it really is released.
A marriage might take position the exact same time a wedding licence is given. There isn’t any waiting time.
An Alberta marriage licence is just legitimate for the Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take destination in Alberta.
You cannot apply for an Alberta marriage licence if you are currently married.
Whenever obtaining the wedding licence, you need to:
- Use together in the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may use, seek the advice of a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm several affidavits
- It really is an offense to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Offer your private information, and the entire names and delivery places of one’s moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a wedding licence, you simply can’t:
- Be intoxicated by a medication or liquor
- Be linked to one another being a grandparent, moms and dad, kid, sibling or grandchild, by entire bloodstream, half bloodstream or use
- Either individual getting hitched is hearing, message or aesthetically reduced
- Either person getting hitched can be an assisted adult with a court ordered co-decision maker or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
The two of you must certanly be 18 yrs old or older.
If you should be more youthful than 18 yrs old, you can easily make an application for a married relationship licence if your entire moms and dads and appropriate guardians permission towards the wedding licence being released, unless other conditions use. Talk with a registry representative for complete details.
You cannot marry in Alberta if you are younger than 16 foreign ladies login years old.
That person may provide their birth certificate or immigration document – the other person must have acceptable ID if among the few usually do not have acceptable ID
You simply can’t be currently hitched (either to one another or some other person).
Your marital that is legal status be one of several after:
- Evidence of divorce or separation will become necessary; the divorce or separation document supplied ought to be the last document (as an example, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A breakup document that claims a married relationship is dissolved in X length of time just isn’t appropriate as it is impossible to learn in the event that last papers had been filed or perhaps the breakup ended up being contested throughout that time.
- Divorce or separation documents that aren’t in English should be translated; seek advice from a registry representative for interpretation demands.
- A death certification of this spouse that is deceased not necessary.
- Never ever been hitched
- No status that is marital are required.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment is issued by way of a court, the individual’s marital status reverts back once again to just exactly what it had been before that annulled marriage took destination. The last status that is marital need to be proven. As an example:
- Once the status that is marital the annulment is divorced, evidence of divorce or separation must certanly be supplied as well as a duplicate for the court ordered annulment
- Once the past marital status is never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document will become necessary
Whenever a wedding had been annulled, a duplicate for the court ordered annulment should be provided. Religious and tribunal annulments are perhaps maybe not accepted, only court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents which are not in English must certanly be translated. Talk with a registry representative for interpretation demands.
Whenever getting a married relationship licence, both of the people who can be engaged and getting married must certanly be proficient in English (since appropriate papers are now being finalized), otherwise an interpreter becomes necessary. When an interpreter will become necessary, it really is your obligation to present one.
The interpreter should be:
- 18 yrs. Old or older
- Proficient both in English as well as the language needing interpretation
If the registry representative worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient when you look at the other language, then that registry agent employee might function as interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few trying to get a wedding licence cannot interpret/translate for each other.
There was a $40 federal federal federal government cost for the marriage licence.
Registry agents will charge an ongoing solution charge. Provider fees differ among registry agents.
How exactly to use
Step 1. Make certain you meet the criteria to try to get a wedding licence
The wedding needs to be occurring in Alberta over the following a few months.
Before using, be certain to along with your intended spouse are eligible.
Action 2. Gather your write-ups
Just take your ID that is acceptable with to obtain the wedding licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for instance divorce proceedings papers. Contact a registry representative, they are able to verify exactly what documents you shall require.
Step 3. Visit the registry representative workplace
Head to a registry representative with your spouse that is intended ID and papers, thereby applying for a married relationship licence.
After you use
A wedding licence is granted as you wait.
If you fail to have got all of the information and papers required, the procedure may be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence to your ceremony and provide it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document extremely closely for mistakes whenever you will get it and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Will have mistakes corrected straight away.
Prior to the ceremony happens, errors could be corrected by way of a registry representative.
Following the ceremony occurs, mistakes should be corrected by the amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any given information that was supplied if the wedding licence had been released.
Relate with Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory vacations) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 ahead of the contact number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
When it comes to deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll TTY that is free 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5