You can listen to the complete interview by pressing here.
We covered a complete lot of subjects everything from why I believe they ought to leave the vocabulary on the SAT as is, to whether I think that test prep works. Among the many topics we talked about had been:
- Various kinds of test prep, which work and why
- Commercial test prep
- Signs of good vs bad test prep
- How exactly to encourage an adolescent
- What the school Board is testing
- The most useful time to tour colleges
- Lessons I learned all about the SAT
- Lessons we learned as a mother
We also talked about my future book, The Ideal get Project: Uncovering the Secrets of the SAT and what it’s all about.
How Much Does the SAT Count in the Admissions Decision?
Therefore how much does the SAT Count in the Admissions Decision?
SAT counts for lots more than colleges will acknowledge to much less than students think.
The Academic Index the AI Calculator should shed light on ‘how much’ the SAT counts. Although AI was developed for athletes, they determine it for several pupils.
Never miss these Kitchen Table Math comments, which add more insight, including one commenter whom found a (somewhat old) College Board report that offers a wide range of information on the decision techniques used by many colleges.
The part that is first based in your SAT scores, the next component is centered on your SAT II scores, additionally the third component is founded on your GPA. The website link above talks about a GPA dining table provided to the eight universities, but it does not explain the way the GPA is calculated. It appears to use a scale that is weighted the most effective score is 4.3. I haven’t learned just how this true quantity is calculated. The spreadsheet then proceeds to choose the higher rating related to each of the two GPA figures. It’s always struck me that the SAT scores make up two-thirds of this index. Universities might come with a fudge factor if they know one thing in regards to a senior school, but no option for that shows up within the example spreadsheet.
Quadruplets’ Mom Needs SAT Advice
Dear Ms. Stier:
I recently came across your internet site and it is loved by me! Thanks for carrying it out.
I could really use some advise on how best to approach test that is SAT for my quadruplets. [me: OMG]
I’ve 3 girls and 1 kid. They took the PSAT in sophomore year and they takes the PSAT once again this October.
Certainly one of the disadvantages of having all my children the exact same age is that any mistakes we make affects all four. None of them benefit so I hope to get this as right as I can from me learning from my mistakes.
Do you believe I should have them study as being a small team together under my guidance (from experience it is like attempting to herd cats); get a tutor for the four of them in a small group; have someone tutor them independently; or send them to a SAT test prep center? Or even a mix of all of these? I must view my costs too.
Just how shmoop.pro do I find a good tutor? What’s the test prep company that is best?
If these are questions you can help me with I would personally appreciate it. Then that’s okay and I appreciate you taking your time to read my email if it is not something that you can help me.
Thanks again for the web site info
Dear Multiple Mom,
My gut says to together do some work along with four (e.g. plenty of vocab, full training tests, and they can explain answers to each other because that is clearly a good way to learn), and do some preparation separately. Whenever you can find a tutor( that is affordable), that’s the most efficient means.
Listed here are a few questions to ask a potential tutor (or test prep company):
1) Do you customize your approach and, if so, exactly how?
2) What’s your score that is average gain student? Many tutors will not answer this concern because there are incredibly numerous variables that it’s almost perhaps not fair to inquire of. Having said that, an excessive ‘average score gain’ should be a flag. e.g., 200 points in per month.
3) the length of time do you advise students to plan the SAT and how much does it cost? The right answer will be specific and depends on where the student begins and what the target is.
4) What test prep materials can you use? ( If it’s not College that is official Board, be wary.)
5) just how much research will there be between sessions? (A great tutor will have students do as much act as possible off the clock, such as vocab and practice tests.)
The first faltering step is to own all four kids take the state university Board practice SAT. You need to use one from the College Board’s Blue Book, or a practice is had by the College Board test on its website.
You’ll want to figure out exactly what they have to work on and if they need foundational work or more traditional test prep polish. My guess is which they need foundational work, as most kids do (and as I did!). Make sure you select a test or tutor prep business who is able to assess that well!
Regarding test prep companies, I’d avoid anyone whom does not primarily utilize university Board product (that would include most/if not all large, brand-name test prep companies).